Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tulips, Tulips and More Tulips...

Tulips are one of my favourite flowers. There is something refreshing about their vibrant colours and how their appearance seems to signal the entrance of spring weather. I`ve always wanted to see the Tulip Festival in Ottawa and fortunately this past Sunday I had my chance.
It was a bit cooler than I would have liked, but I`m told that was better for the tulips as it keeps them from opening too much. I started my day off at Confederation Park where there was quite a display of blooms.






I made my way through the park and then took the path along the canal to my next destination – Lansdowne Park. On my way I happened across a mother duck and her ducklings.


Lansdowne Park housed the International Pavilion at the Tulip Festival this year. Over 20 different countries participated and of course, Holland was one of them. Many of the booths had traditional food and drink for sale and at some you could even dress up in national costumes and get your photo taken.



Here is a short synopsis of my time at the pavilion. Get poffertjes (little small pancakes) from the Dutch display. Mmm, lekker!






Purchase mittens from the Ecuadorian display (It was CHILLY!) Check out the Turkish display where two ladies were making roti. I bought one filled with ground beef. Very Tasty.



Try on Korean traditional dress (Hanbok). Very cool!

Purchase coffee from Colombian display and a donut from the Portuguese showcase and head out to catch the bus to downtown.

The final stop on my tour was at Major Hill Park. There were some more tulips on display as well as a carnival for the children and a display of art made from canned goods (with donations going to the local food bank I believe).





I capped off my day with a trip to the parliament buildings. This is worthy of a post in itself and so stay tuned to hear more about this!



Cheers,

T.

No comments: