Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Great Glebe Garage Sale

I apologize for the lack of updates. There is just so much going on (and so much that I want to write about) that I think I've been putting off writing an update. I think I will have to look at taking a different approach. Shorter posts with less detail may be my best option in ensuring more consistent posting!

Okay onto today's post topic - the Great Glebe Garage Sale. This is an annual event held in Ottawa in a neighbourhood known as (surprise, surprise) the Glebe.
The area is quite nice (I'd liken it Westdale in Hamilton and Old North London (by St. Joe's)) and there are a number of cute stores along Bank Street which seems to be the heart of the neighbourhood.

The event is HUGE. There were literally hundreds of garages sales going on and thousands of people walking the streets. It was really a sight to see.


Street Shot of the Garage Sale. This was taken mid morning.
By mid morning it was even more packed!

I myself didn't purchase anything (save a hot dog from the boy scouts) but the two people who joined me pick up some really great deals!


Me with J showing off one of her purchases at the Great Glebe Garage Sale.


Some tips for those heading to the sale for next year:

1. Get there early! Even though events do not officially start until nine am (when we arrived) there are hundreds of people there out at the crack of dawn scouting out all the deals. If you want some of the great furniture or really great deals, you have to get there early.

2. Parking is a challenge so be patient. Public transport is best. If you buy a large item, you can always come back and pick it up later.

3. Wear comfortable shoes and bring your money with you (small change!) The bank machines all have very long line ups and run out of money by mid morning (yes it's that busy)!

That's it for now!

Cheers,

T.

No comments: