Sunday, May 31, 2009

Museum of Civilization

Ever aware that my time here in Ottawa is winding down, I decided to head to visit the Museum of Civilization in Gatineau (Hull) this past week. The museum is open until 8 pm every Thursday. I was able to leave work at 4 that evening and made it to the museum by 4:30 pm.

I'd decided in advance that I was also going to partake in the IMAX experience while there (they have a deal if you purchase museum and IMAX tickets together). Imagine my surprise when I found out that entrance to the museum is FREE every Thursday from 4 to 8 pm. Score! As a result, I decided to treat myself to a double IMAX feature - Mummies and Under the Sea. Being a student, the grand total was only $12. I'd highly recommend Under the Sea. The Mummies feature was good, but palled in comparison to the visuals of Under the Sea. I suppose that Under the Sea had a bit of a leg up as it used the IMAX dome technology (a huge dome screen moves in over the audience so that the images cover even your peripheral vision. Very cool.

The museum itself is very impressive and definitely worth a visit.


One of the very large totem poles on display.


A boat in the Tsimshian exhibit (from the Pacific Coast). Really well done.


A breathtaking mural painted on the domed ceiling of the museum.


One of the special exhibits was on ancient Egypt. They had lots of interactive activities for kids (both young and old) to do. One of them involved writing your name in hieroglyphics which obviously, I had to do!

Part of the display of the Canada Hall. This is located on the third floor! The church you see on the right hand side was donated by a parish in the prairies. It was dismantled and reassembled in the museum in it's entirety!

Walking through the exhibit. This is meant to mimic the streets of Quebec City in the 18th century.

Me inside the Merchant's House on Ontario Street. This is meant to represent a parlor in the later 19th century.

Mock-up of the Vancouver airport circa late 1960's, early 1970's. This little vignette was complete with overhead announcements for boarding. The phone booths in the back worked - you could dial a number and then hear accounts of immigrants' experiences on arriving in Canada.

Part of the Mythical Creatures Exhibit.
Cheers,
T.

No comments: