Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grab your paddle and drum...

This weekend was the Ottawa Dragon Boat Festival. It takes place on Mooney's Bay which is about a 10 minute walk from my place. I decided to head down earlier today to see what it was all about. WOW! The event had taken over the park with various vendors, live entertainment with beer garden and a tent city for all the participating teams.

I found my way to the bleachers on the beach and sat down to watch the races where I noticed a group doing Tai Chi. In amongst the hussel and bussle, these 20 or so people were doing their best to bring a little peace and tranquility to the event!



I watched the 100 m final race which was pretty much over in about 20 or so secods. The photo below shows all the boats lined up at the start line - I tried for a finish line shot but unfortunately in the excitment of things, it didn't happen.



Between races I decided to wander around the site a bit more. In my travels I came across the team staging tent where groups go to wait for their race to start. I wish I took a video as the teams waiting were performing cheers and getting ready to race.



I decided to wander to the food vendors and grab a bite to eat before heading back to the bleachers to watch some more races. As I sat down with my food, raindrops began to fall. At first it wasn't a big deal, but then it started to pour, I mean like buckets. The crowd all fled for cover and I managed to find a spot under a nearby tree so I could continue to watch the races. I can only imagine what it was like for the racers out on the lake caught in the down pour!

Once the rain had died and I'd had enough of watchin the races, I wandered over to the beer garden to check out the live entertainment.

Can anyone name the band in the photo below?



It's 54/40. I last saw them about 14 years ago...so definitely a blast from the past. I stayed for a few songs but decided to head back home before the rain got out of control again (and so I could catch the World Cup Brazil vs. Cote-d'Ivoire football match).

Cheers,

T.

No comments: